Friday, July 29, 2011

Antigua

Antituga has been wonderful.  I have enjoyed exploring a lot. When it rains however, there is nothing to do there than read.  I'm not complaining, as I have reread books 1-4 of harry potter since arriving.  After my first weekend, languor school had lost its appeal.  I went into the stores and restaurants and attempted to speak Spanish and yet everyone spoke English.  I had no trouble getting what I wanted.  I know that it will no be like this everywhere but, I feel like I'll survive.  

Monday was a holiday here and Spanish class was interrupted to watch a parage.  It was amazing to watch all the school kids with instruments.  Each school seemed to have a band and a beauty queen.  I will post pictures on fb.  Below are a few of my favorites.




On Tuesday, I asked my teacher to skip the verbs and lets go walk around the city.  She agreed and we went to several markets and worked on vocabulary.  I bought a purse, blanket, and hammock chair.  I do hope there is a place to put it.  It was annoying to go to the market.  Everyone wants to give you a deal.  And the actual selling price is usually half of what they first ask.  So annoying to get used to.

I went to a macadamia nut farm Tuesday afternoon.  It was interesting.  I ended up having to ride a "chicken bus." Think 20 year old school bus with 3 people per seat.  My butt bairly fit between the seats.  :)  I was warned never to get on these but I was with a few other students and a teacher from the school so, I went.  Can't say it's an experience I wish to repeat. The farm was okay.  Not as interesting as the coffee farm, but its amazing what they can do with little to no modern technology.  I got a facial using face creams made with macadamia nut oil. One of the workers asked me if I was native American because I had yellow skin.  I can honestly say that I have never been asked that before!

It rained all day Wednesday and most of Thursday.  Didn't do much but read.

I'll write another blog soon about the food and people I've met.  Thanks for reading :)

1 comment:

  1. I hate, hate, hate, HATE bargaining with people. That seems to be the main downfall with living there, because everything else sounds amazing! Maybe I should do something like this.... Keep posting, I love reading about your adventures! :)

    ReplyDelete